Brand-new Grizzly 13" x 40" Engine Lathe with DRO coming to a Hive near you soon

On behalf of the membership, I am pleased to post news that the membership approved purchase of a brand-new Grizzly13" x 40" Engine Lathe with DRO has happened. Exact timing details will follow, but expect it to arrive in early June. It will be a challenge to receive and rig in this new tool, but we will find a way. In the meantime, here are some links for your pre-arrival reading pleasure.

Grizzly model G0776 product page = http://www.grizzly.com/products/13-x-40-Gunsmith-Lathe-with-DRO/G0776
Grizzly model G0776 manual = http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0776_m.pdf

This is a significant step. Continuous improvement is fun!

JimD

Super cool! Looking forward to getting it setup and learning how to use it.
Looks awesome!

We’ll need to talk about where it will go and how to get it in place.

I have some concerns about the floor and leveling. Maybe we can make some steel plates for the feet to sit on?

I also think we should invest in a basic set of tooling. I mentioned this before in another thread:
image.pngimage.png

We will also have to get coolant and oil.

Would this fall under my “area”?

image.png

BWUHUHUHAHA!

We have an indexable carbide set btw! I found it in the dirty room last week so we’re covered there. :slight_smile:

Do you think the feet are going to mark the floor? I’ve looked around a bit and unfortunately I can not find a picture of the feet!

A live center would be nice so feel free to add that. I think we should talk about the way oil and coolant a bit though, I’ll send you an email tomorrow. Seems like there are a handful of different opinions out there on those two items.

Jon

image.png

image.png

image.png

No rush. I just don’t want to get it and then not be able to run it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I bet we could cut some 4"x4"X1/4" plates to act as load spreading devices.

I’ll read through the manual to find out any specs on the fluids.

image.png

image.png

image.png

From the manual:

- Electrical spec is 220 VAC, 1-Phase, 60 Hz, 8.5 amp full load, 15 amp minimum circuit size
- Prep, receiving, lifting, placing, anchoring, setup info is in Section 3, pages 18 to 22
- Floor plan dimensions in the picture on page 21
- Fluids required listed on page 10

JimD