Android tethering Gingerbread 2.3.4 / $$$ for solution

First off: I’m willing to pay $50 (via paypal) for a solution to this issue that meets ALL criteria. I’m sure that I could wade through forums and search developer lists and something that could be kicked into working eventually but I’m busy and lazy. :slight_smile:

I have a Nexus S running the “pure google” experience of Android 2.3.4. As far as I know, my phone has all updates sent down the pipe by google. I have Cincinnati Bell for service. As of this time, my phone is not rooted. I don’t have any problem rooting it if necessary to do what I want to do.

If I enable wireless tethering on my phone, it will work perfectly for a minute or two and then all traffic gets redirected to a webpage that says something to the effect of “Your plan doesn’t include tethering.” Well, this is bullshit considering it wasn’t this way when I got my phone and is a major reason why I got the phone in the first place.

What I am willing to pay for is pretty simple:

1. An explanation (that can be verified with scientific experiments) of how my carrier is figuring out that I am tethering not using web on phone.

2. A way to use wireless tethering without alerting the carrier OR tunneling all traffic through a 3rd party, i.e. no proxy server, no SSH tunneling, etc.

3. Any software involved in the solution be open source and be made available to the general larger community if not already done.

I should be able to make the meeting tomorrow if you want to play around with it.

Thanks in advance!
-Dave

If I had to guess I would say it is detecting the user agent. The browser says it is on android but the browser on you machine will report a different os. Try a user agent swithcer to spoof the phones user agent.

I recently talked to a CinBell rep, and they said they didn't know
specifics, but that the network engineers put a "box" on the network
that detects traffic that shouldn't be coming from a cellphone. So,
high volume traffic, or more than what "should be coming from a
cellphone" is what it detects. This was a sales rep mind you, but any
information is useful information?

Cincinnati bell employees must submit to a voluntary lobotomy as part of the employment application.
:slight_smile:
-D

PDANet. Works, verified on TMobile by Dave M. Testing it at the Hive
tonight. Verdict will be soon. :smiley:

I redact my previous statement. PDANet works for about an hour and
then fails like the rest of the methods. Next step is custom kernel
with masquerade for TTL.

Have you tried an ssh tunnel?

SSH tunnel works fine. Ideally, I’d like to not have to do this and chew up my bandwidth at home.