72" Metal Brake on Auction

http://bid.bidfta.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?mcmann849/MC292737

Any interest? I’m not personally interested, but it would be a step up for the metal shop to be able to work sheet metal.

oooooooooooo

Not sure what you’re trying to say here Dave.

My thought are that price is really good, but that it’s going to be a storage problem. I’ve seen some smaller breaks at Horrible Fright for $200-300 that bend around 24-30" and could be used on the welding table, and stored under it when not in use. OTOH, you see a lot more in tune with what the metal shop could use for tools.

22 gauge also sounds pretty wimpy too me, I noticed that the Manufactory has a 10’ break that handles 16 guage.

OOOOOOOOO Pretty. That would be awesome but where to put it… 22ga is better than nothing, which is where we are at. Probably worth considering whether a smaller (48" ?) break that can handle thicker gauge would get more use…
-D

I donated a small 30" brake a while ago… it’s down there at the hive somewhere. It can easily bend up to 18 guage.

Bill

I had no idea we had a brake. I would love to locate and use it. 22ga. is pretty limited, but if we have one rated for 18, that's decent

There’s a red brake on top of the shelf in the back corner of the metal room next to the street. I thought it was 12ish inches, so that might not be it.

OK, I’m going to say that’s not right for the Hive.

First of all, 22 ga. steel isn’t much. We have a small one that’ll do probably 16-18 ga.
Second of all, 72" is five feet long. That’s a ton of room we don’t have. It’s pretty heavy, too. 340# is a pain in the ass to move.
Third, if we’re going to spend money buying a facility to bend sheet metal, I think we should get a block bender, as it’s more versatile.

I mostly agree with you Greg, you’re echoing some of the things that occurred to me as I dug into it some more. I’d also add that if we’re going to be doing sheet metal that some nicer snips, perhaps a sheer at the 24-30" range as well as an air tool nibbler like Lorin was asking about earlier would be useful.

Also this one is 72" which is actually 6’ and longer than you were thinking.

What’s a block bender please?

I think it might be something like this: http://www.baileigh.com/box-and-pan-brake-bb-4816.

I’ve run out of storage myself (much embarrassment) The temporary roof is shaping up to be about 25x32. Ah well… 1/3 the joists to hit the edges of 4x8 are in, blocking for the other laps to follow.

Perhaps it’s worth looking into if more space is avail in the building. It’d be a big project but maybe that basement passage could be rented/renovated. If the old boiler is not in use (doubtful, oil burner did not look to be plumbed) then perhaps the landlord does not want it :slight_smile: Problem is, that covering is likely needing testing for asbestos. If, a live steam show (like antique tractors) might want it as is, then everybody wins. I bet three good workstations could go in that spot, with the concrete floor some metalworking machines need. Yes, it’s a big cost, headache, etc…

On another note, I’ve seen some amazing folds done after starting them on a bead roller, a really heavy duty one was about the size of a tower computer.

I think it might be something like this: http://www.baileigh.com/box-and-pan-brake-bb-4816.

Seems like a much better solution, not quite as large, about twice the weight. Probably need a dedicated corner.

Perhaps it’s worth looking into if more space is avail in the building.

It’s been looked into, last time I heard there was a point of contention with the landlord, and renting more space isn’t high on their priority list.

It’d be a big project but maybe that basement passage could be rented/renovated. If the old boiler is not in use (doubtful, oil burner did not look to be plumbed) then perhaps the landlord does not want it :slight_smile: Problem is, that covering is likely needing testing for asbestos. If, a live steam show (like antique tractors) might want it as is, then everybody wins. I bet three good workstations could go in that spot, with the concrete floor some metalworking machines need. Yes, it’s a big cost, headache, etc…

I keep drawing a blank on this boiler you keep mentioning, remind me to ask you about it next time.

On another note, I’ve seen some amazing folds done after starting them on a bead roller, a really heavy duty one was about the size of a tower computer.

Interesting. I must admit a great deal of ignorance when it comes to metal working. I did a simple sheet metal toolbox when I was in high school, far too many years ago.

snip various…

This guy is within an hr or so of the Hive. http://www.robertofstokewood.com/ I keep telling him he ought do a class at a makerspace.

He does more angles than flats, but the bead roller is a giant creaser, which starts the bend. If you had a square anvil ish piece of metal, you could with time, bang the whole crease in :slight_smile: At least I think you could. Break would be much easier. If there is not the space, there is not the space.

snip various:
O

It’s been looked into, last time I heard there was a point of contention with the landlord, and renting more space isn’t high on their priority list.

Ah well… Non starter then. Bang for buck in smallest footprint then. Instead of a plain Lathe, maybe this is worth considering? http://www.shopsmith.com/markvsite/lathe.htm

I’ve used the brake Bill speaks of. It is fine. It has black handles, and is indeed 30". It will suit most basic needs.

It should be located on a low shelf in the metal room.

It is likely disassembled, but can be assembled and placed.

Considering this, I think we really need a sheer, not a big ole’ brake. A decent open throat sheer would an option considering space concerns. At the moment, we only have the world’s most dull aerospace snip (and I think we only have left hand cutter).

For thin sheet metal, I still think an air nibbler is great bang for buck and really useful. Can cut a thin sheet and also makes all sorta shapes of cutouts for IEC power sockets, dBe, breakers, switches, etc very easily.

L