Welders

No, those test strips look garbage because 1. whoever doing them doesn’t know how to weld properly and 2. our current welders are weaksauce-garbage

You can adjust the feed rate on a MIG, just not typically while the arc is active. You shouldn’t have to if you set it right the first time, however.

http://www.profabricationtechniques.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/stack_o_dimes_mig_weld.jpg

That was done with a welder comparable to what we’re looking at buying by someone who knows what they are doing. :slight_smile:

-D

Hey all,

I spoke with Dave on the new welder he was looking at (the $1000 miller) and I’m all for it. The OEM warranty aspect is very pleasing and can give the hive some piece of mind.

Some benefits to the new option as i understand it:

• The unit is easily run on both 115V and 230V with a minimal change time (swap modular power cable and it’s done)
  • The welder is capable of welding at 150A on 230 V and up to 90A on 115V

This allows us some mobility around the shop, although I’m going to use my welding background to say we’re going to want the 230V connections.(more on that later)

• The device is MIG (Gas shielded) out of the box and includes NEW regulators and hoses, that will help prevent gas loss and reduce consumable expense with leaking gas (the gas can be expensive and old parts can leak slowly)
  • There are nice features like smooth start (a miller brand feature that helps starting the arc) and infinitely variable settings for feed rate and voltage

Some drawbacks:

• The device will need 230V wiring to unlock it’s true potential (but will work well on 115V in the mean time)
  • The price is on the high side of the budget at ~ $1010, but keep in mind it’s brand new.

As for my plea for increased power:

The increased power from 230V will make welding MUCH easier for the new folks to learn with, because of the increased penetration, tolerance for arc length and higher heat. I’ve taught a few people to learn how to weld with both Stick and MIG and they usually benefit from turning the heat up, as it makes it significantly easier to make a strong bond.

I see the difference between a novice and advance user is the ability to make a “pretty weld”. With 230V The bond strength will be there, even in an ugly weld, provided you get the heat high enough to melt both pieces; herein lies the benefit of 230V and the 150A output.

Also, the machine has to work half as hard on 230V to produce the same output that the 115V will allow, increasing the life of the machine and lowering wiring loads in the building. The quality on the lower amperage settings (for thin material) is equal weather the device is operated on either source 230/115V. Overall its just better to use 230V.

And one last thing:

Someone mentioned the welder being used in the back room with the vent fan, I support the idea if others agree as the ventilation will help keep welding dust off of everyone else and the electronics. also, helps to keep the arc flash exposure to a minimum for bystanders… just a thought.

keep in touch!
-Ryan Hesse (AKA Ryan 2.0? )
(208)252-1599