VOTE: Three New Air Conditioners

Looks like I got the Costco unit in May 2017.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/cincihackerspace/Costco%7Csort:date/cincihackerspace/pdgUg8LtF1A/xzPw1YzVFwAJ

I think it is still chugging along though.
We also installed a donated one “Haier” around that timeframe. (:infinity: BTU/$). :grinning:

Bump - This Vote is tonight.

Current winning price is a FrigidAire from HD.

1 yr full warranty, 5 yr sealed system
Currently one of the top rated brands with Consumer Reports.

And we really need some A/C.

I am a huge fan of the mini-split systems - I have three in my home and am considering replacing one with a unit that has three indoor air handlers. I did the vast majority of the installation myself so my cost was just for the unit and an hour or so of time from an HVAC professional.

That said, even with a DIY install the cost comes in at around double that of a window unit. The biggest benefits of mini-splits (enable zoning, quiet, don’t require removal and storage in the winter, fairly attractive, don’t block out the light of the sun, can be used as heaters in a pinch) are almost entirely lost in a place like the Hive.

That said, I am 1,000,000% in favor of doing anything humanly possible to keep the heat down in the Hive. I am a complete an utter pansy when it comes to summertime int Cincinnati to the point of planning to someday live somewhere very chilly at night from June 15 to September 15.

I think it might also be worthwhile to install blackout blinds on the windows in the Fab / Electronics Lab. I think those are the only west facing exposed windows. I did this for every single window in my home and it makes a tremendous difference. It could even be cardboard taped into place. It’d give the A/C unit in there a shot at actually accomplishing something.

Dave 3.0

Totally agree on improving the things that resemble windows at the Hive.
We could work on reflector tint or some kind of IR filter to allow light but little heat.
Even white foamboard would reflect a great deal of the incoming sunlight.
I’ll do some digging on simple/cheap stuff.

The FabLab seemed tolerable this last weekend during cleanup. It was cooler than the rest of the hive. I would be opposed to blocking natural light.

JP B

While I love natural light, those windows make it painful to be at the electronics benches or CAD computer between 4:00 and 7:00 this time of year. In fact, the light is so bright I couldn’t even see what was on the CAD computer screen. A set of fabric blackout curtains, with a white exterior facing side, that can be pulled back seems a reasonable solution to both problems.

I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. As I work for a commercial/industrial HVAC company, Benner Mechanical & Electrical.

I agree with Dave V the window units are the best choice; for practicality, cost, ease of installation, and the fact that this may not be the home of HIVE13 for the next 10 years or so.
I will keep an eye out for any split or mini-split systems in our warehouse that may be salvagable but this is rare as we usually replace units due to them being beyond repair.

If one was leaning towards a VRF system; I would recommend installing a ceiling moumt cassette type mini-split that would supply air from a central location, as the main shop area is undivided. Rather than mounting them to the uninsulated walls.
These wall mount systems tend to clog with condensate sludge and leak down the walls, harbor mold on their blower wheels, and you just about have to take the whole thing apart to service it.

I vote yes for the window units.
It would be wise to seal the units as Greg did last year in the fab lab.

A couple of very last minute points in favor of a mini-split system:

- every time we have a group of any size in the conditioned space, we have
to shut off the window AC units just to be able to hear ourselves talk,
driving the temps up rapidly. A mini-split would be significantly less
noisy.

- there is a pretty much unused 240V circuit wired to a box under the dock
out back. It would be a short run from there to a compressor mounted on the
wall, and the line sets would be a straight run from there. Installation
would not be very complicated in my almost completely uneducated opinion.

- however, we need to fix the heat issues yesterday already.

Are all of the current AC units on their last legs? Would it be possible to
replace one or two of the worst performing units with something better, in
conjunction with the the blackout curtains for the fablab? That would give
more time to get a good deal on a mini-split system, or if that isn't
sufficient in the short term, we could easily buy more replacement window
units and install them quickly as needed.

To summarize - I'd suggest two new window AC units for the immediate
solution, and start working on a mini-split system for the longer one. As
I'm looking at a mini-split at home, and potentially another at our
business, I'm happy to work on that end of things as well.

Also, blackout curtains for the fablab either way.

This vote passed.

Yay!
I won’t need to wood work in my banana hammock anymore!

Well, there goes my entertainment :stuck_out_tongue:

The A/C is ordered and due to arrive by 7/11.

As you might guess all good 1 ton units are sold out across the city.

Based on the delivery promise we can be cool at the annual meeting.

Thanks for approving the vote.

Dave