Vote(s) Proposal - Hard Drive budget for new file server

I thought UnRaid uses Docker, haven’t used it but I think it’s widely used so I’d assume it has good community support. What type of virtualization are you wanting to offer? How many members are interested in deploying virtual servers? Is our current ISP connection good enough to handle your current plans?

If enough members show interest, I’m all for supporting a project that helps make it happen. I’d just like to know we don’t spend money for something that won’t be used or would be better deployed in the Cloud.

Docker does have pretty good community support, but is generally for application-level virtualization not machine-level virtualization. Unraid also has VM creation using kvm, but their web interface for doing so leaves alot to be desired and the lack of a usable package manager makes the command line less than entirely useful.

• Ian B

This is sort of what I’m getting at. Not just videos, but the point is that looking only at what we are using now is missing the point. If we had the opportunity to get a larger building, would we say “nah, we don’t have enough tools to fill that space.”? There are any number of uses for higher digital storage capacity which have been brought up both in this thread and outside of it, and we are never going to do any of them if the space isn’t available. The underlying idea of a hackerspace is to have the tools available for people to make things. The servers are just another tool, and one to which, in my opinion, we have been giving alot less attention than other areas of the space.

• Ian B.

And what I am getting at is, there are clear benefits that we are getting the $300 option. What additional usable benefits are we getting for $1400?

I would have the same response if we were looking at getting a new plasma cutter.

i.e. $300 we could have a machine that could cut 1/2" steel plate, for $1400 we could have something that would cut 9" thick steel plate. (this is a plasma cutter so the numbers would be closer to $900 and $4,200) I would support the first option, but the second one I would not. Someone would have to convince me otherwise to affect my vote.

So you have convinced me that $300 is worth it, but haven’t convinced me on the expensive options. And you can go feel free to throw this back in my face if a vote ever comes up for a plasma cutter. I will point out that most hard drives are between 1/2" and 1" thick though…

I don’t really have anything else to offer at the moment in terms of convincing. I have done enough to convince me, clearly you have higher standards :slight_smile:

I guess, contrary to my previous metaphor of the server as a tool, I am thinking of the hard drive space as more analogous to the physical space of the hive. Not so much as a tool in and of itself but rather as providing a place where tools and projects can be worked on.

It’s cool. I think many people here have experience, and opinions, on this topic. Welcome to group internet discussions.

I personally hate the loud jet engines that drive our current servers so I’m looking forward to a quieter setup. I think having better storage is a great idea.

How much (size vs cost) is something we should discuss and eventually vote on.

I’ve seen a setup with over a Petabyte of storage. Very cool!

I vote (without getting into the debate of implementation that has ensued):
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No

Brief comment on the overall concept: consolidate and simplify our technical complex please!

Here here! Huge improvement in quality of life.

Sorry to be nagging, but why isn’t cloud storage an option?

Physical disks on the local network tend to be infinitely faster and
cheaper than cloud options.

Given that the Hive's network link saturates easily, I would advise against
using cloud storage for anything but offsite backups.

Is there anything we can do to upgrade the connection? With Cincinnati Bell rolling out fiber, maybe we’re eligible for 1 Gbps?

Time Warner Cable is our current supplier and I have the contacts for that. I’d deputized any interested member who wanted to start general inquiries for possible alternatives from TWC or Cincinnati Bell to be considered.

JimD

Short version, Fiotptics is not available. Long answer: It may become available… I’ll send the long answer over to leadership as there are a few questions and details needed.
I’ll take all of that offline as none of that pertains to the current discussion on Ian’s desire to get hard.

Hard drives, forgot the drives part.

Short version, Fiotptics is not available. Long answer: It may become available… I’ll send the long answer over to leadership as there are a few questions and details needed.

Please include me, I’m willing to do the leg work, I just didn’t want to do so if somebody had already done so recently. It would probably help with the video conferencing we’ve been doing.

I’ll take all of that offline as none of that pertains to the current discussion on Ian’s desire to get hard.

Hard drives, forgot the drives part.

Maybe. It pertains to the question of using a cloud based storage instead of buying a lot of onsite stuff. It also raises a question of how we’re going to fill that space if the Hive is sucking data through a very clogged straw.

Ill take the long answer too.

As I will not be able to attend the meeting tonight, I’d like to cast my vote here.

1 - yes
2 - abstain
3 - yes