VOTE: Plasma Cutter

I am going to vote no for now. Dave brought up several good points and I don’t think there’s too many people itching for a plasma cutter right this second.
As for getting the hot room up to code, it sounds like the welders should be off limits until all the other major projects (Lounge/Fab Lab) are finished so we aren’t trying to tackle 3 big renovations at once.
I am willing to help out however I can, but I don’t consider myself qualified to lead a project like this

Whelp… this has escalated well outside what I had in mind when I posted this… admittedly for good reason.

Sounds like it truly is necessary for the Hive to get a solid plan together for the future of metalworking capabilities, current state is a mess.

Kevin, I think we’re in a uniquely great position right now. Due to new members like you and increasingly thoughtful and inclusive discussion, Hive13 is doing more than ever before. I don’t think it would have been possible to do the lounge renovation 3 years ago, let alone even think about upgrading the metal room. Not too long ago we didn’t have the money to even think about these things. So, keep he ideas and votes coming.

Also, now you may have the opportunity to buy the plasma cutter for yourself and sell it for profit :wink:

Finally, if I keep myself out of admin for a while maybe I could help out with renovations in the future. First, though, I need to keep up with physical therapy and get stronger.

Just a reminder, this vote is scheduled for tonight’s meeting.

I will be abstaining from the vote, as I simply wanted to present this opportunity, I’ll leave it up to the community to decide if it’s something worth grabbing to hold on to till we have a fire safe area or if we should wait for another opportunity.

This thread has had good, productive conversation/deliberation, it’s good to see people engaged in the well being of the community.

Thanks,

Kevin