Venting Welding Fumes

Okay, the good news is the room has some sort of vent. That meets the bare minimum code requirements. What troubles me is the wording of the prior statement, which I think is perhaps not the best information or conclusions on the issue. Essentially the answer may be right, but the reasons listed are not phrased well, nor in my opinion correct. Given that education is part what I feel the focus and mission of the group should be, you can not get good results on bad data.

It all hinges on “naturally ventilated” which is not defined in this section. This page has an explanation outside of the code. http://www.ehss.vt.edu/programs/WEL_ventilation.php Essentially, it is ventilation via openings in the exterior walls, that is, windows, doors, louvers, etc. These are not normally open at the Hive, and given the recent comments on the resident time of airborne dust… The definition and performance of “naturally ventilated” fails a closer look regardless of the size of the space.

So… it is not an extra above and beyond bonus to have mechanical ventilation for the welding in this situation, it is a requirement.for both compliance and a safe work space. As would be the yearly flow testing, site specific health and safety plan, (physicals, xrays, and fit tests for the respirator users) and all the relevant documentation.

But it is moot, given Hive members are not employees… OSHA gives not two hoots if you are not an employee. The important point is to know what you need to work safely. I don’t know everything, but if somebody points out something I am doing that is unsafe… I know to listen. If I see or hear something in my work area that I know is unsafe, I know to speak up. Yeah, not popular Patty am I.

Posting something that may lead people to believe something is safe because it is OSHA exempt… that will bite somebody in the butt. Especially if the assumptions about said exemption can be proven incorrect.

Part of working with people on dangerous processes or dangerous tools is safety. Everybody has to be on the same page. Like chainsaws… I am a stickler for procedure on chain saws… people get too close, get in my work zone, and approach the operator improperly. Why? I’ve seen chainsaw mishaps, those procedures saved life and limb. Dangerous mistakes mean you have to stop work… and explain safety all over again. In a shop space where nobody is a supervisor… everybody has to cooperate. How can everybody cooperate if the rules are not agreed upon? Because as is, somebody could be welding up a storm without the ventilator on and refuse to turn it on because “Hey, says right here on the google group… not needed, buzz off.”

I can tell ya now as a potential member… if I drive in and have to leave because of fumes and people not taking safety seriously, that’s going to be a pretty big detractor. If It would make me think twice, it can be assumed others will think the same also.

disclaimer: I am a former employee of the above link

Keep pointing this stuff out Mike. I don’t want to get anything nasty, I don’t think most other people do either. I usually make a point to tell people once when they need ear/eye protection in the woodshop, after that it’s generally their problem. Dealing with welding fumes is a different beast, since it’s not going to be an “own goal” situation.

From the link you posted it appears that the fan needs to move 2,000 cfm. Does anybody know what the current one is rated at?