Tig Welder Discussion

I have followed that weld.com youtube page for a while and dam… MR TIG is amazing! Jay Leno brings him in for special repairs and I watched a kick ass way to even do titanium at the hive safely… all you need is masking tape and 2 regulator lines. You may be thinking about the commercial Lincoln Tig that was VERY well known on the market however they did away with it because it ran about 4k for just the tig and push that hobby model now that would be erratic for thin stuff. I know in the end price will be a factor as well so we might be able to get a demo welder etc. for quite a bit cheaper and when push comes to shove if somewhere has that older lincoln that can warranty it, or we go to ESAB, or even thermal arc, AHC, etc to teach the other than mild steel we need a low amp start… aiming for 5 amps so people dont start with a hole as soon as the arc starts.

Do you want me to move a proposal for 4,000 for the welding room as we have used VERY little money from the budget. It would cover :

Upgrading to a intermediate TIG
Cover install parts
Cover the ducting upgrade for ventilation
Get supporting jigs, heat sinks, prep tools
make a tungsten jig
A second led hanging work light for moving the table if needed and better visibility.
Likely a fresh coat of white paint/primer will help visibility as well.

Its just going to take a little leg work, if the move my knee up would someone want to hit up the local welding/metal working stores to see what trades ins the have etc. Or work out what they can do on what model. Knowing we have them money to pull the trigger if needed makes negotiating with a company on the phone or in person much easier and hell we might not even come close to that money.

Yes! I love it great discussion too!

Do you have anything your thinking Timothy?

This is going to be a big step in that room and I just want to make sure we hit any repair or project people might be doing. I also don’t want to look at having to come to the membership for another welding machine n 2 years because we find what we got was more of a heavy duty, thicker material “hobby only” unit that cannot touch even thicker sheet metals in stainless or aluminum. Most classes teach aluminum on 1/8 stock lol but if someone bring in a bicycle frame, or wanting to weld a tab on to extruded aluminum you run into those oh shit holes/ sloppiness no matter how good you are. Pedal quality is a huge factor as well so there is not goofy spikes and a smooth input to the unit.

For the hive, Sorry I fell behind on communicating. Between the surgeries and then getting the fire equipment and training proposal together I just got swamped. Now that the fire stuff was approved by the township and all is well lets get at it lol.

I don’t know enough about welding to provide any useful input. I am interested to learn though. I believe you two have had plenty of time to make a very educated decision on what would be best for the hives needs and I trust the decision that you two agree on to be suitable.