The Manufactory

Hello everyone,

My name is Lee Krieg, President of The Manufactory, a new Makerspace that my family is currently building in Sharonville. I hope it is OK to post this here. It is kind of an ad but I think most of you will find it to be of interest.

I am a maker and a businessman, a printer by trade. We had excess space in our printing shop and I was looking into 3D printing when I came across Techshop’s website. I immediately new that it was what I wanted to do. Within a few days we began planning and started acquiring equipment and preparing the space. Unlike Hive13 this will be a commercial venture which is modeled very much after Techshop. We do, however, intend to be very member driven and will direct the business based upon their input. Also, the owner’s office will be right off the lobby instead of 2,000 miles away. What we like to say is, “Just like Techshop, only better!”

Our website can be found at themanufactory.us which has a brief overview. As you can see we need a web developer so if anyone is interested please contact me at leeATthemanufactory.us. We are also looking for people with expertise in certain areas to act in an advisory capacity to help with decisions regarding equipment purchases, layout, education, etc.

I hope to forge a relationship with Hive13 that will benefit both organizations.

Hi Lee,

That sounds great! Are you aware there is a group actively looking to build a TechShop in Cincinnati? They came to Hive13 to talk to us a few weeks ago. I believe they are still in the funding stage and I don’t recall where they are planning on putting their facility. If you haven’t been in touch with them and want to I’m sure I can dig up their contact info.

I am very excited about all of the new maker activity in Cincinnati and think it’s great! Don’t forget, we are a 501(c)(3), so if you ever need somebody to take some equipment off of your hands… :slight_smile:

Craig

Lee,

I’ve taught a lot of the soldering / electronic design classes we’ve had here at the Hive. When you get far enough along to want to get classes going, I’d probably be interested in being a part time paid instructor or possibly teaching classes in return for membership/access.

I’m sure you could also find plenty of talent and expertise to leverage among our members if you needed help making purchasing decisions or accelerating setup.

I’m with Craig - more maker activity in town is a good thing. Feel free to show up down at the Hive sometime and check out what we have going on.

-Dave B.

Craig,

Yes, I would appreciate the contact info for the people looking to bring TechShop here. I have come across a few hints of others interested in building makerspaces but nothing very concrete. Some of them sound a little pie in the sky and I do not know how serious they are. I am aware of Live•Build but again really haven’t been able to find out if it is just an idea or if there is real backing behind it. As I am sure you are aware, it is one thing to talk about it and make sketches and a very different matter to actually make it happen.

Everyone that I speak to that is interested in the concept thinks all the activity is great. To be realistic Cincinnati will not be able to support a shop in every neighborhood. To do it right these places are expensive to build and operate and are funded by memberships. If they become too common, none will have enough members and quite possibly all would fail. Even nonprofits like Hive13 could be diluted so much as to be untenable. My purpose would be to allow us to compliment each other, not compete.

I would appreciate the opportunity to come and meet with the members of the Hive so we could pick each others brains on what we can do to our mutual benefit. Who do I contact to make that happen?

Hmmm, I don’t seem to have his contact info. I thought I did. Anyhow, I will put you in touch with Roanne from Cintrifuse. I know they are in contact with the TechShop team and can get you in touch.

You can come by any Tuesday evening if you want. Those meetings are open to the public. If you want to have a one-on-one discussion I could meet you at the Hive sometime. I do the finances for the space. Although our finances are public (and updated in real time!) http://portal.hive13.org/reports/activemembers.php

Craig

Lee,

Here’s the info about the TechShop effort in Cincinnati: http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/money/business_news/tech-playground-being-wooed-by-trio-of-local-leaders

I’ll send you Kenny’s email off-list.

~Dave

Roanne sent him some info as well.

Lee, let us know if you need anything else.

Craig

Thanks for all the info, forwards and everything else. I can’t make it tonight but I will try for next week on the 23rd.