Proposed update to Warden Addendum

1. It didn’t seem right for the COO to nominate himself for cheaper dues.
  2. That’s more so that the COO knows how much of the budget is left.
  3. That’s just a spacing change; I didn’t edit any text there.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this Greg! Nice job.
-D

Belated “yes” vote from the on-call support dungeons.

• Ry

yep.

Just a reminder, this vote is still open, so if you haven’t voted yet, please do so.

I vote Yes.
Mike

If I didn’t vote, I vote yes.

Bump again. We’re getting close to quorum.

I vote yes (if I haven’t already voted). :slight_smile:

I vote yes re: Educational Warden

Bump this again. We’re getting close!

I vote yes.

I vote “yes” (remotely, back in October…)

JimD

I vote yes

I already voted on this email thread, but I am reiterating my yes vote.

I have already voted yes, but state that I endorse this and stand by my Yes. This will give us the leverage we need to increase education activities, offer more training to members, and more outreach to the community.

For those of you who have felt frustrated by the lack of training and orientation for new members, the lack of courses or lessons to certify members on equipment like the large CNC, etc. This is the change to our documents which allows us to start holding a higher standard, and put someone in charge, solely for this responsibility.

The reason we do not offer more classes & certifications in an organized manner is that administrating and organizing classes is tedious and difficult. It requires a designated individual with some power, leverage, and a little compensation (1/2 dues in exchange for a lot of work).

Initiating, organizing, scheduling, and funding classes or courses is difficult – trust me, I am a career educator. I’d love to teach at Hive13 more, but I am one volunteer here.

Here’s my own case as an example:

I want to teach, but I need someone to help me advertise the class, put it on eventbrite and get enrollments, make sure that parts have been ordered or equipment is on hand, and just help me set things up. As a teacher, I want to concentrate on my lesson and teaching to the best of my abilities. I simply can’t do this without some simple help. I have taught a number of classes, trained people one-on-one, taught skills informally, etc at Hive. I have simply been unable to do my best at this or commit to more because I end up struggling with event-brite, scheduling, making sure announcements go out, calls are answered, etc. This leaves me with less time to prepare my lesson plan, and, often, a need to “wing it”. I have opted out of teaching any classes that require materials purchase because I do not want to pay for materials out of pocket and then have no students show up.

Last year, I spent more than $2000 on materials for my courses at UC OUT OF MY OWN POCKET, without reimbursement. This is the way teaching is, and I do it because I want to teach well and I want my students to succeed. You can go ahead and look up my salary at UC on the News Record database. Go ahead, I’m fine with it, it’s public record. I don’t do this at UC because I love UC (screw the administration), I do it because it’s up to me and the other faculty members to provide education, not someone in a business office. Here’s the difference with Hive13, though, UC enrolls my classes, provides for my licensing, accreditation, pays me a salary (even if it’s less than I made in industry or at other Universities). AND, I know that when I show up to teach there will be students and many of them (not all) will be invested. Also, if I don’t “make it happen”, even out of my pocket, then my students lose out on the education they have committed to. I consider my most important contract to be with my students, not with the Provost (the one who signs my contract and my paychecks). Smart, good people don’t get into academia because it’s lucrative, easy, fun, or prestigious. Seriously, look up my salary, it’s on the web.

The education warden (this is what Greg proposed, and what this is about) will make Hive13 work for teachers. If they do the organization, make sure that my supplies are on hand or ordered, that students will show up, and that classes are announced and advertised, then I can teach. I work way to hard at UC to do all this. This is why I have not taught much at Hive. I wouldn’t be able to follow through.

I would like to offer these classes (and I have taught them, or similar before):

Basic electronics series – with parts & materials provided.

Audio / acoustics series – DIY analog synth, microphone, guitar pedals, vacuum tubes, acoustic panels / sound isolation, etc are options. (this is my area of specialization, by the way)

3D printing & Ultimaker – yeah ulti is coming back after major upgrades to help with design problems that contributed to making it less friendly to Hivers. New feeder, new bowden assembly, new bowden couplings, new power FETs, over-temp and feed failure protection, and more.

That is why people should vote. Please feel free to abstain or vote no, but VOTE. Above, I wrote why I vote YES. If someone wants to write a counterpoint, please do. This is a collaborative community, and every yes, no, abstain is a contribution to community.

This has been sitting in limbo for more than a month. Let’s move on already!

Lorin

Yes and double-yes (if required) from me.