Marketing The Space And Looking Toward The Future

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2yfqggkkvfw0un/Hive%2013%20maker%20logo.skp

Cool :slight_smile:

Here’s a jpeg for people who don’t have sketchup:
Hive 13 maker logo.jpg

Yes, that is a great idea, and actually Mike discussed that with me a little bit earlier. We have great ideas, as he said, for a welcoming robot bee! This is going to be fun! I will do a quick mock up in the next few days, and ask for opinions before I refine the details.

Looks awesome!

Hive 13 maker logo.jpg

Depending on how complex you want to make it and whether or not you want each axle to be individually controllable, you can drop the complexity down to one motor for the spinning bits, if you use some sort of belt and pulley system. Rubber bands work nicely if you can find a large enough one. Lighting can be done many ways, but I think using the same type of LED strips that Shadoxx and Ryan were playing with for their light and sound board might make it more interesting. Maybe use some of those dials to control the color of the lights and the speed of the motor.

I definitely like how you wanted to make the upper frame out of metalwork, the lower frame out of wood, with lexan panels for transparency, and then the little Hive13 logo in laser and 3d printed parts. Maybe one of the hexes could have a piece of one of Hodapp’s Cyanotypes glued to it to show that we do low tech such as fabric and photos as well as high-tech?

Thanks to all for the feedback!

I like the suggestion that fabric and photo work could be included - why not a different art or craft for each side of the six hexes? 3D printed “H” on one side with woven art “H” on the back, a laser-cut “I” with a photo montage on the flip side, etc. and everything showing as the logo spins (or “steps”, maybe the rate of stepping/spinning could be viewer controlled (with a speed limit!). I like controlling the lights color with the dials, too.

I like the idea of the tiles showing the Hive13 logo on one side and then turn to reveal a tool/skill available at the Hive. One button on the front panel could be labelled “Who are we?” and the other “What can we do?” or something similar. Pressing one or the other causes the tiles to rotate. All the front tiles could be 3D printed in black and yellow/white to have a nice looking, uniform logo. Then when they turn, the other side of each tile is made from a different manufacturing process available at the Hive:

• laser cut wood/plastic with the word “LASER”

• 3D printed with the word “PRINT”

• aluminum plate with word “MILL”

• MDF (or other wood) with the word “ROUTE” (or “CNC”)

• steel plate with the word “WELD” created from writing the word by hand with the MIG welder

• PCB with the word “ETCH” as the only copper pads remaining

• maybe a clear acrylic tile with the word “BLINK” etched on it and the tiles is edge lit with a blinking LED

• another PCB idea is an LCD screen that says “CODE” (or scrolls “LEARN TO CODE”)

Obviously, there are more than six ideas up there, and please add more if you think of any! We could vote on the best six ideas.

Ian

1st attempt at a 3-D printable mascot is complete:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3ujToDylFXqNGVvVmZXSjRLWEk&usp=sharing

Tried to avoid crazy overhangs, might still be a challenging print…
I’d like to have several versions so we can choose the best, maybe the next one will be based on a drawing from Elly? :slight_smile:

FYI…hive13.org and the wiki seem to be down right now…

Mike

We could accomodate 12 “makings” by having each side of a hex show the Hive 13 logo letter as made by the technique and also label the technique as mentioned below.

So far we have fiber arts, photo processing(?), laser cutting, metal milling, welding, plasma cutting?, wood shop, CNC, PCB design/etch, arduino/coding, LED display (controlled by environment?), servo control.

The “neat” logo could be mounted atop the frame in a smaller size, with the rotating logo within the frame.

(png at 11)

John

jpeg “attached”

Hive 13 maker logo.jpg

First off, good to know about the laser cutter! Definitely expected the discoloration thing, though didn’t expect it to be so minor! But the most troublesome will be the lack of a guide laser as has been stated somewhere on this thread…

Any help refining things will be appreciated, as will any checking over for printability. Do you have Illustrator CC? I’m not sure about Illustrator’s compatibility between versions. The fonts are a couple common Google fonts: Exo 2 for the display text and Open Sans for the body copy.

Someone also mentioned manual cutting… A new xacto blade will happily cut through 6 sheets of printer paper, brochure stock could probably be stacked 2 or possibly 3 deep and cut, so there’s that much at least!

Last week was pretty hecktic, didn’t get much on the brochure done. I’m going to try to put up a refinement and a variation in design tonight. I think between us we should be print ready by the end of this week.

Latest png:

If the metal and other people contribute, here’s what we could get:

Hive13 box.png

Has this been proposed for publicity?

Recently, I attended a meeting at an unnamed makerspace whereat publicity was discussed.
A couple of things came up which I don’t recall being mentioned specifically at Hive 13.

1)scouting organizations have merit badge activities which might include things we could do with a group such as our much vaunted soldering classes.
The advantage to us (if there is one) is that parents attend, and they would see the facility and might have their interest piqued.
(No idea how to go about contacting them, though.)

1. DAAP (UC) has quarterly (or semesterly, if that’s what they do now) end-of-term projects that require real objects as results.
    Although the students generally use the machines on site, there arise occasions when overbooking occurs, and rental of our machines might be offered to allay such congestion.
    (We have DAAP, or at least UC members, (or at least alumni), yes?)

Just a thought…

I plan to become an electronics merit badge counselor for my son’s troop this summer. I also planned to do this last year, but I’m really going to try to do it this year. I was also planning to do a couple of “attend this class and all your requirements would be covered” sessions. Most likely I would do this at the church they meet at for distance reasons, but once I’m a counselor I would be in the database for any nearby scout who wants that merit badge, so other opportunities for scout events at the hive may present themselves.

Has anyone considered or spoken to the museum center? I know they have an excellent youth program (both of my daughters are in it).