Machining challenge: new heatbrake isolator for ultimaker

Sometime in the next month. Coolant is a good idea with a lot of materials, not just ceramics - will be useful to have it set up.

I just finished the mechanical upgrades to ultimaker today so I’ll be bringing it in later.

Lorin

image.png

image.png

image.png

There are a lot of opinions on coolant.
There are some general use ones that would probably work fine for us.
There was a thread earlier about making a setup that would trap the collected oil in one part of the tank while allowing air to still reach the coolant.
Apparently the oil creates a barrier on the surface of the coolant tank and allows anerobic bacteria to grow and stink up the place.
I can dig into this a bit more.

Brad

We going for a water soluble oil coolant? They work a lot better than straight oil or synthetic on aluminum, brass, etc – especially if anyone’s doing thin stuff.

It’s possible to mix up a pretty good DIY coolant, too. Propylene glycol, dish soap, oil, water…

Lorin

I vote for making the heat brake out of aerogel… ;p

Ground shipping is going to be $11.04 on a $18 part. Anything else you want from them?
-D

This place has a $100 minimum order. Any thoughts?
-D

Lorin, the place you linked to has a $100 minimum order. I found this on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Macor-MAC1-0804-Machinable-Ceramic-Diameter/dp/B00I2U67YI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1485275903&sr=8-8&keywords=macor+ceramic+rod

It’s 1/2" not 7/16. It’s 4" not 3". Do you think it would be suitable?
-D

Generic version, available on prime:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006JT4VVK/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

-D

Dave,

The last “generic” link is best. Small Parts is an excellent re-seller. They’re sorta like mcmaster: they don’t tell you brand names but do carry them (I’m certain that is corning brand macor). Small parts has better pricing than mcmaster and they’re a lot more helpful (I used to call them on the phone for my orders. good to see they caught up with the times and went online). .

Lorin

Order Number: 002-2309215-5713834- Glass-Mica Ceramic Round Rod, Opaque White, 1/2" Diameter, 4" Length (Pack of 1) will be shipped to David Blundell by Amazon.com.

Guaranteed delivery: Jan. 26, 2017

I has ceramics.
D

IMG_20170126_225152702.jpg

I f’d up my demo part so let me make one out of Aluminum before I mess up you fancy ceramics. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Brad, you might want to try this machine tool first, image.png

I’m working on tiling the bathroom today with my father in law. If any of you have a strong itch to play with ceramics, email/call/txt me and I’ll give you my address to stop by and get it. Otherwise, I’ll bring it to hive next opportunity.
-D

image.png

Thanks Dave!

I probably won’t be able to work on the ceramics till mid-week. Got other thins to finish first.

L

image.png

SaneAttachments.png

I’ll be happy to do some test cuts if you want to bring it to the Hive.
You could leave it in a lathe tool cabinet drawer.

I made a test part out of Aluminum on Friday.

It is in the top of the lathe tool cabinet. (Along with one I messed up)

The piece of fancy ceramic is in a yellow blister pack in the top of the red lathe toolbox with the aluminum test pieces sitting on top of it.
-D

Thanks dude. Sorry haven’t been able to make it down this week. My week has been lame. I’ll be in tomorrow for the lathe class with Bradsimilian Walsh – super fun.

I’ll send you an email off list about reimbursement for this and the last digikey order.

I managed to machine a macor isolator on the lathe yesterday. Wild stuff. It really does machine well considering what it is.

However, machining a glass-like ceramic is very tedious and not very forgiving of error.

Now I just need to polish it till it’s slippery…