Keeping spindles happy: torque, etc?

Dave B recently mentioned using a torque wrench for ER collets. I agree that would be ideal.

Old-timers tend to get a decent “feel” for things, but a torque wrench can keep things consistent and safe. Seems like it’s the #1 solution for machines with multiple users.
Problem is, a click-type torque wrench for this is usually rather pricey (can’t use cheap bar types). Any suggestions? The techniks most people use runs well over $250. I don’t know what else is out there…

I would also suggest a ball bearing collet nut. They are much easier to close, loosen, adjust, and can reduce possibility of cross threading, etc. About $30.

At the very least, I think we should get proper collet wrenches (even non-torque). They have short, wide handles for a reason, and I can show people the tricks that an old machinist taught me for proper tightening and loosening with these.

Wrenches of various sizes and crescents (yikes) have a lot of variation in torque.

Any thoughts?

L

P.S. Since an ER32 collet has a recommended torque setting of 100 ft/lb, the problem is often under tightening too – you can get wobble in the bit and twist / lever the nut.

There was some talk about cutting down the existing wrenches.

$20 for a wrench to use on the nut itself:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=240-2687&PMPXNO=4840035

$32 for ball bearing collet (not sure about brand, but this one has the non slip design and bearing to prevent runout and spinning the nut if overtightened).

https://www.maritool.com/Tool-Holders-Spare-Parts-Collet-Nuts/c23_30_31/p1437/ER32-BEARING-COLLET-NUT/product_info.html

Pretty cheap if it saves us spindles. If I were to DIY anything, maybe weld an adapter socket onto a less expensive torque wrench. Some people have had success with this, as long as the lever length is maintained. Even a Harbor Freight is within 5%, and an ER32 collet can go up to 125 ft lb with a good nut.

We should also not store the collets and nuts out. #1 enemy of these damn things is dirt and dust. I always had mine in a sealed box.

Lorin

Harbor freight makes a digital torque wrench adapter. With it bring harbor freight I know we will get boos however they work really decent and get the job done…all for 30 bucks

Also lorin I dono what the cost is on the spindle shaft wrench or size but for the one at school I took an extra decent wrench I aquired and milled it down to the correct width yo keep the crescent wrenches off it.