Electronics news, space updates, and help needed

1. We need more modular / floor space. I feel strongly that we should rotate our 1st storage over to the long wall behind the meeting area (drawing attached). We will set up work (non-storage) areas in front of windows to allow natural light (actually, the window we’re blocking in electronics area now is our only real, non-covered window and would make MORE light.

2. This gives us room to set up extra chairs for presentations, fit more folks at Tuesday meetings, AND space for a setup table or other work area.

3. This makes electronics area less like a dank, isolated cave.

4. If things look and feel nice, people are more likely to treat them nicely.

5. I won’t trip on Ryan’s metal deliveries, as more “aisle space” will open up in center of space.

6. We are cleaning and reorganizing these shelves anyway – now’s the best time (while they’re empty).

7. Dustin and I measured carefully, and the shelves will fit. (If back shelf is separated into two parts - it is two shelves), it will fit on back wall without blocking metal door or server.

8. WE GAIN HUNDREDS OF MULTIPURPOSE SQUARE FEET!!

9. We have many new tools and supplies in the electronics area. There is a cable hanger under the widow with test cables and I have organized and consolidated much. I will complete my current inventory and post to wiki, etc after Saturday.

10. On Saturday “cleanup” I will need help. Primary objectives:

• Take down boxes & storage and consolidate / inventory items.
  • Get useful tools and parts back in circulation (we have a lot that is just lost up there)
  • Move unusable to purgatory
  • Make things sexy and presentable.
  • This area is next to our tables, meetings, and primary “hangout”. The mess is making our communal space look bad. As we go forward with classes and community meetings with public & paying students, we need to look professional.
  1. Please return our multimeters! Too often they are all over the space, and the only one in the bin has dead batteries. I’m not interested in buying meters right now, especially good ones, if they walk away all the time. I suggest having your own if you use one a lot (I always have mine). Jon and I both have great meter recommendations, and John’s is affordable!

2. Let’s do this so people walk in the door and say WOW, I want to take a class, workshop, or join this space!!!

Lorin

The promised attachment appears to be missing.

• Ry

Looks like Lorin attached the photo, but in a different thread. I have a mockup done in inkscape, but you have to wait for me to submit it after I get out of class today

Here’s my poorly rendered version of the floor plan in the meeting area/electronics area lacking Lorins amazing sound effects.

The scale is a bit off, but I measured and the shorter racks will fit between the wall and the metal working door, and the two long racks can go anywhere along the wall with the windows (although It would be nice to leave enough space so it doesn’t cover the cincinnati bell box, and maybe enough space for the server to stay about where it is would be ideal). The table would have to fight with the post, but overall the visibility around the table would be the highest with the poll being in the corner of the configuration. But then we should have some space to walk behind people sitting at the table with this configuration! =)

floor plan (electronics).pdf (34.2 KB)

Just curious, is there room to put rack shelving in the dirty room also? It seems fairly cluttered and perhaps that could be helped.

Especially if we add vertical metal storage - like Elly did with the wood are!

I don’t know that is happening with the metal shop except that shelves are being built by Kirk. You could maybe talk to him about that.

Thanks Lorin for bringing this up, now we have a big project to work on this Saturday for the cleanup! =)

Kirk has plans in process to create vertical storage in the metal room. The steel arrived along with my order two weeks ago, so it’s now just a matter of making time to do the welding.

• Ry

I finally found some time to peruse the plan and attached diagram. The following questions and comments arose.

• I am generally in favor of this arrangement. Traffic flow in the electronics area is a noticable problem on Tuesdays while providing tours of the space.

• What do you have in mind for the upper shelf of the 100" pallet racks if not storage? If you’re intending storage for those shelves, doesn’t this block more light than the current arrangement?

• Would building or buying new electronic workbenches be preferable here? This might allow all the pallet racks to be used entirely for storage, provided we can procure more load beams.

• Placing pallet racks against walls prevents access from one side. How will we combat the inherent problem with deep shelving, where the rear half of each shelf devolves into a forgotten pile of rubble?

• We tend to have more problems with water leaks around the walls than towards the center of the space.

• Where would we relocate the purgatory shelves? What about the PA system, current stacks of chairs, end cap storage (computer parts bins, chrome box internet kiosk, file cabinet, power tool drag racing christmas tree) and other displaced items?

• Might we want to relocate the projector and screen while we’re at this? Does anyone remember if broken projector features might preclude a ceiling mount?

• Don’t be afraid of moving the server rack again. We could also consider collapsing back into a half-height rack as we’ve had in the past. Preferably an enclosed rack with an air filter this time around.
    Input from the full membership is encouraged regarding any of these topics. Please let us know if you have ideas which may address these concerns, or if other potential problems occur to you.

• Ry

Ryan,

Response in-line:

I finally found some time to peruse the plan and attached diagram. The following questions and comments arose.

• I am generally in favor of this arrangement. Traffic flow in the electronics area is a noticable problem on Tuesdays while providing tours of the space.

Yes. Also, this would increase members’ efficiency while working on projects, by providing modular, open workspace.

• What do you have in mind for the upper shelf of the 100" pallet racks if not storage? If you’re intending storage for those shelves, doesn’t this block more light than the current arrangement?

I have solid ideas, but am open to suggestions, as everyone here is very good at solving problems and designing solutions.

1. We are currently only using 10% of our storage space on the shelves. Sorting through 20 or more boxes, I discovered that most of them were only a quarter full. I in one evening, alone, I was able to consolidate items from about 10 boxes to two boxes. At this time, our priority is really to use space more efficiently. Elly and I have been working hard on this.
  2. This is happening while simultaneously making an inventory. Pallet racks can easily be subdivided into usable space. For instance, many of our shelves and cabinets could fit on the pallet racks for smaller items. Long-term large item storage could go in back with an annotation of where it is.
  3. I don’t want to block area in front of the windows. Plenty of solutions there… Simple temporary solution is rigging and inclined shelf with scrap wood so items cannot sit on the shelf for now. More aesthetic solutions can be done later (slats, diffuser, window, etc.)
  4. those windows are blocked on the outside anyway. They get some light, and I don’t want to lose it, but electronics area window is our best window.
  • Could building or buying new electronic workbenches be preferable here? This might allow all the pallet racks to be used entirely for storage, provided we can procure more load beams.
    Sure. However, optimizing the equipment we have now will reserve more money and time for higher priorities.

• Placing pallet racks against walls prevents access from one side. How will we combat the inherent problem with deep shelving, where the rear half of each shelf devolves into a forgotten pile of rubble?

In all my time here, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone access the pallet racks from the meeting area or the server-side. Frankly, the most cluttered and chaotic view of the pallet racks is from our meeting area.

• We tend to have more problems with water leaks around the walls than towards the center of the space.

I don’t know. We’ve also got leaks that come down on my head in front of the bench space to the right of the soldering area. Ponchos?

• Where would we relocate the purgatory shelves? What about the PA system, current stacks of chairs, end cap storage (computer parts bins, chrome box internet kiosk, file cabinet, power tool drag racing christmas tree) and other displaced items?

I’m sure we can find better areas than in the dead center of our space. It also doesn’t look very nice to have a free pile and clutter in the meeting space and workspace. We must remember that this space is the space that creates the strongest impression on first-time visitors and prospective members. Again, after purging and consolidating, we’ll have space for much of this on the pallet racks themselves.

• might we want to relocate the projector and screen while we’re at this? Does anyone remember if broken projector features might preclude a ceiling mount?
    That’s an ideal solution. Optimal configuration of a presentation & class space with A/V is a shoebox shape. So, mount screen on the pallet rack against the metal area.

• Don’t be afraid of moving the server rack again. We could also consider collapsing back into a half-height rack as we’ve had in the past. Preferably an enclosed rack with an air filter this time around.
    Okay. Dustin, didn’t we figure out that there’s room for the server even with the modified configuration?

I’m also very interested in input from others.

Lorin

As a former CTO, I’m all in favor of relocating the server rack on top of the fab lab. For how little it gets used and how many ladders we have, I think it makes sense. Cut the current rack we have in half with a saw zall / band saw (or get two shorter racks) and then do some carpentry to adequately support the weight… Lots more room. Done.

-D

And just to clarify - by “For how little it gets used” I mean more precisely “For how little someone is actually needing physical access to the server rack to do what they are trying to do.”
-D