Class Videos

Ok just as a quick update to the video service. After a bit of testing we found you must be added to the list to upload videos. Also videos upload can be setup to be viewed on a per video basis if you want. So you can limit to just one other user, a group or everybody at hive13.org. However there does not seem to be a way to share outside of the domain. So if you want a video to be public still use your youtube account. It is possible to hide your uploaded videos from the main directory when browsing if you like. I guess this is the pr0n option?

I believe it is possible to make the groups.hive13.org available from the whole internet. There are lots of permission settings for that service and they very well maybe wrong. I haven’t tested this service yet. So if you run into issues be sure to let me know.

Craig

hacker cons make their videos available free online after a certain
time period, which i suspect has more to do with logistics than
anything else. for me, hacker cons are more about hanging out with
hackers than watching talks. plus the videos help you to not feel
guilty about being too hung over to go to the early talks :slight_smile:

i think that the videos could be a great promotional tool for what we
are doing, and that reaching out to other communities than the typical
hacker/maker/geek/etc. will serve us better in the long run.

a better draw for membership would be a little snippet in those free
videos about how hive13 can help you teach your own classes and make
your own videos. each video we give away would then be an invitation
to come join the fun.

one of my personal goals has been to create a media lab where people
can make and edit their own video/audio/etc. dave and i have talked
about a DIY media movement and i think that the movement should start
at hive13.

what about making a lower quality version available for free and
keeping higher def versions for use in house?

I’m down with either direction. We have an easy way to post hive13.org related stuff via google apps and the local fileserver. So we don’t need to invest in anything infrastructure to go either way. I think what we might want to do is post immediate stuff to internal resources until we get a chance to edit them nicely. For instance, the sumobot video that I posted is horribly edited (I can say that because I did it). This is because I wanted the video to be posted ASAP and I have little to know skills in video editing. The Saturday after the event I did an ‘apt-get install’ of kdenlive, clicked on help and read the quick start section. Then I made the video and posted it to youtube. I would like to go back and redo it to make it nice.

I think a better method maybe to upload your videos, materials what not immediately to some internal thing (fileserver, video.hive13.org, whatever) and put it in a virtual queue to be published. Member can get access to raw content right away but the ultimate goal is to make a nice video with maybe hive13 logo overlays in the corner and/or a promotional clip added to the video. I think the video editing should take place at the hive as well. Just another thing we can teach and play with at the Hive.

Craig

One other thing. To produce good videos for classes we would need good video and sound equipment. If anybody would like to donate some to the hive we will be happy to write you a receipt for your taxes! The better the donation, the better the class videos will be!

Or if there is a company who does video production and wants to drop by on days we are hosting classes to film them, then you could advertise your company on those videos! We could also advertise your company on equipment donations or loans as well.

Any takers?

Craig

I talked to the guy in charge of recording the training at work and he
has a full HD Sony camera with a wireless mic and tripod he said we
could use. I will try and get a hold of some sample footage but video/
sound quality is quite professional. Maybe I could snag it and record
the reverse engineering workshop. Any takers on this idea?

Yes please!