blinking badge - circuit simplicity

I bought some of these but mine are frosted, you are welcome to some to play with. They fall out of sync within the first cycle.

If you plan to be at the meeting Tuesday, bring them and we can compare. Mine arrived about 5 minutes after you sent this email.

Keep me posted when you get the “simple” board design stable.

-D

Absolutely. I will post the files here and make sure you are specifically copied as well. I figured I would make a mock up out of cardboard or wood to make sure anyone interested can see the size better, and maybe get consensus on that size on Tuesday.

However, there is no reason those of you working on the advanced version can’t be hashing out the circuit in advance of that. The circuit is just “battery + LED” or maybe “battery + 2 LEDs”. The only anticipated enhancement is a set of jumper pads with a cuttable trace between them.

Unless you are asking because you want Gerbers to provide an outline for a more accurate quote from OSHpark. In that case I’ll try to get it to you today.

Nope. No need for gerbers. Just want to hack on it a little.

-D

I’ll still try to get them to you shortly.

Here you go, two versions of the badge, one with 1 led and one with 2.

I’m not 100% sure if the footprint for the battery holder is correct, but it should be close. I know for sure when I take a micrometer to an actual holder.

hive badge v1.zip (560 KB)

I finally got around to shrinking the artwork to match the badge mockup I posted a week or so ago, I’m hoping that anyone working on advanced variations of the design (i.e. Dave B) has not actually done much.

If work HAS progressed, you could just copy layer 221 (tArtwork) to get the hard part, the silkscreen of the logo, into your design.

I also rotated the battery holder to make the badge more symmetrical and hang better from a piece of clothing.

I’ll be using this design to order a few from OSHPark to prove we have a working simple design to fall back on if scheduling becomes tight.

hive badge v1.1.zip (21.8 KB)

I brought to the meeting yesterday some prototypes from OSHPark of the basic badge. For those who did not get an opportunity to see it, I left one taped on the bar in front of the groovey color changing lamp. Please take a look at it and chime in with any feedback about any suggested changes.

One thing that is obvious is the silk screen on the back was inconsistent. Almost perfect on one board, missing large bits on another, and totally missing on the third.

Aside from working with Laen to figure out why the silkscreen on the back didn’t work well (I’m pretty certain the answer will be, “make the lines thicker”) and any other changes you folks give me, this is the default design we will go with should plans for the alternate design not pan out.

Remember, for those interested in the advanced version, we need to have it done AND prototyped before September 24. The experience with the inconsistent
silkscreen illustrates what was already obvious, we can’t commit to 500 boards until we absolutely know the design works.

I’ll be sending another order of the basic boards to oshpark with modified silk screen so we can be certain of the fallback design, and thus give as much leeway for that advanced version deadline, but September 24 assumes the promised 3 week turnaround plus a week for unexpected problems, so it’s already a little tight.

Marcus,

I’m sorry I haven’t been around to help like I said I would and won’t be able to into the future. I’m working overtime at work for the next month or two.

Did anyone take pictures of the prototypes? I’d love to see one.

Thanks,

Ian

Moving has devoured my soul.
-D

Hey, the point of this post isn’t to guilt any one in any way at all!

It’s actually the opposite, to insure that no one is worried about hanging up the project and still to provide maximum time for anyone interested in an advanced version to noodle with it.

If the advanced version doesn’t happen this time, there is no reason it couldn’t in the future in a smaller run.

I’ll up load a picture (or video) later.