Annual Meeting and Elections

I gladly accept Kevin’s nomination for a position on the board. Thank you Kevin.

It is been a great pleasure to serve Hive13 as a board member over the past year. I would like to continue the good work that we have already begun, and also prioritize new goals and directions moving forward.

I also must say that I agree 120% with what Elly said. Me too. :slight_smile:

Recently, our membership has grown, as well as our reputation in the community — a fantastic thing. This does pose a challenge as well; maintaining a larger, more active hacker space presents new issues and new problems to solve.

For those who are less familiar with me, or just haven’t paid attention to the boring minutia that I often handle, here are some of the more mundane examples of things I’ve done, and would like to do:

Some of my accomplishments this past year:

• I wrote a successful grant for $6500 from PNY charitable trusts. Among other things, this is funded our ultimaker, some computer supplies, and expenses for power tool drag racing, educational projects, and outreach projects. This was the first grant written for funding Hive13 ever.

• Another similar, but much larger gant – currently in review.

• Initiated our summer education program with Cincinnati public library, and negotiated $2000 of honorarium/expense funding for Hive13. Note: Mike, Dustin, Brad, et. al deserve credit for making the classes a great success in my absence (I just laid the groundwork and handled a bunch of boring beaurocracy).

• A lot of odd jobs, organizing, motivating, and de-motivating.

• I have greatly enjoyed leading open workshops on a biweekly basis. I wish to continue this.

• I’d like to start teaching / facilitating regular free workshops (monthly?) for the community and my students at UC. These would mosly be beginner oriented (basic micros, electronics, laser, 3d printing, cad, etc) since we get many more requests for “starter” courses than in depth advanced topics. I’ll give it a shot, at least, and hope some folks will help :wink:

Moving forward:

• As we outgrow our current space, I wish to start earnestly exploring options to expand. This is a pain, but it’s really overdue.

• We’ve got a great start on educational projects, classes, and outreach. Now we have some momentum - let’s keep it going.

• We need to start thinking seriously about how to make it easier for all members to take on the projects and roles they desire. We also need to provide some relief to members who are tasked with more than their fair share.

• As usual, I’m totally willing to handle some of the bureaucratic nonsense so that everyone else doesn’t have to.

• I’d like to continue to be available and helpful in general.

I would also like to Mike Horwath and Kevin S (if not already nominated) for board members as well.
Tiffany

To clarify, would you like to Mike Horwath and Kevin S separately, or at the same time?

I’m going to decline this offer as it makes me uncomfortable.

I’m declining the board nomination. Might apply for an area warden position if there is turnover.

Mike

Kevin is indeed already nominated for board, and I “third” his nomination!

Will there be absentee voting like last year ,

Marvin

I am self nominating for the position of Secretary.

I've been performing much of this work over the last year, as our reduced set of officers attempted to split the load. Returning to a full force of five officers should allow me to focus more fully on these duties. While my physical presence at the Hive has been reduced due to changes in work situation, I still wish to contribute to the operation of the space in some meaningful way. Pushing the paper that drives the Hive can be done remotely as time permits.

In addition to the official duties of maintaining meeting minutes and handling general announcements / communication with the membership, I'd like to work further on organization of our business documents, event scheduling, and new member onboarding process. If Lorin is game to assist with the sound stage, I'd also enjoy taking taking another run at making remote meeting attendance a useful thing.

- Ry

I accept and also second Mike h for board!

And second Tiffany as well , I did not see her post earlier.

How friggin big is this board thing?

Brad the board is 5 people, elected by the top 5 voted. Every member gets 5 votes to divide how they see fits. Need it be 5 votes for 1 person or a mixture of votes between any number of 5 people.

unfortunately it would be difficult for myself and tiffany to both participate in board meetings, unless the Hive gets on-site childcare :slight_smile:

Yes. Online voting is provided for in the bylaws and also required to reach quorum.

A message to the list with further detail about voting methods will be forthcoming.

• Ry